Tuesday, February 14, 2012

I am planning a drive to Sedona before year-end. I have tried mapping routes through various websites, but they all seem to be more work than necessary. Looking at an Interstate map of the U.S., it seems that I could just take 55S to 44W (in Missouri), take that to 40W (in Oklahoma) and just take that straight west through Texas, New Mexico and than Arizona. I assume hotels/motels would be available throughout if I needed to stop for the night. Has anyone driven from Chicago to Sedona? If so, what route did you follow? Did you pay any tolls? If so, how many? I am a female planning to go alone so a safe route to follow is a must! Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks to all.|||Its a long trip but the highways are good and there are good places to stay in all major cities. Even places to stay in small towns but the quality can be poor. Just use caution when traveling alone to stop in well lighted areas at night. I am not a woman but I feel there is little danger to a lady traveling through Texas, New Mexico or Arizona. The people are by and large courteous and would bend over backwards to come to your aid. Beware that Albaquerque, NM has a high crime rate as do small parts of most cities but mostly that is auto theft, and other property crime. Perhaps some youth gangs ruffing each other up.

The Quality Inn in Gallup, NM was a very nice place for its price. There is also a Hampton Inn there too if I recall right. Many motels, hotels in Albequerque, Amarrillo, OK City, Santa Rosa, New Mexcio, Flagstaff, AZ.

Be sure to call ahead for reservations if possible or plannng on stopping before 10 pm or rooms will be scarce along the Interstates. The Interstate through New Mexico was very crowded in the evening with trucks for miles.|||I've driven it many times and in all seasons ;
This works : I-55 S > I-80 W > I-35S > I-40 W > I-17 S > use the Flagstaff airport exit and the down the switchbacks on US 89A into Sedona
While that will work this is my favorite and by far the most scenic route just make sure that you stop for the night in either Grand Jct CO or Moab UT bc after that hotel space will be hard to find for a while.
Moab would be my first choice
I-55S> I-80W >I -76W >I-70 W >UT exit 204 >SR 128 S > US 191S>US 163 S >US 160 W >US 89S> SR64 W >I-40 E >I-17 S|||Do you think men plan longer and dangerous routes?|||I55 south to STL>I44 to OKC(might be toll between Joplin and Tulsa,and tulsa to OKC)>i 40 to Flagstaff Az>I 17 south to 89A .89a to sedona. Many places to stay in each state,at OKC the cowboy
hall of Fame ,right off I44 is well worth a stop.In amirillo ,the "Big Texas" steak House right on I40 is world famous. Albq is most beautiful anytime,good place to spend a night and take a drive up the hill west,turn around and come back into albq,its a picture of a life time.The only two lane you'll have is when you go onto 89a in az....Good Luck ...George

火车采集器

No comments:

Post a Comment